This pasta dish isn’t just incredibly flavorful, it’s really simple. Add all your ingredients to the pot, cook, and serve. Which makes it perfect for a quick, filling meal after a long day on the trail. Serve with some bread or eat it alone… You can’t go wrong!
When I make this, or any other recipes for that matter, I try to do as much prep work as I can at home. With a toddler and an infant, it can be tough to do much in the evening when we get into camp. Unless I’m on a long trip with resupply stops, I chop veggies at home. It only saves 5 minutes or so but it helps things run a little smoother. Regardless of how you do your prep, its an easy recipe, and will be a hit in any camp.
Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 15 min Servings: 4-5
- 8oz Whole Wheat Rotini or Penne
- 8oz Italian Sausage (casing removed)
- 4-6 cups Chopped Kale (optional)
- 14oz can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Yellow Onion (chopped)
- 2 Medium Sliced Carrots (optional)
- 1 diced Green Bell Pepper
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 2tbsp Pesto (optional)
- 2tsp Italian Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 cups Water
- 1/2 cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Bread (optional)
- Brown sausage in pan over med/high heat, breaking apart with a spatula or spoon in a dutch oven or large skillet.
- Add remaining ingredients to the dutch oven or large skillet. Add 4 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a strong simmer / light boil for 10-15 minutes or until liquid is almost completely gone.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve with optional Grated Parmesan Cheese and a slice of good Crusty Bread.